Senator Ned Nwoko Insists He Won Delta North APC Primary

The Senator representing Delta North in the National Assembly, Ned Nwoko, has insisted that he won the All Progressives Congress (APC) Delta North Senatorial primary, adding that government manipulated the APC primaries to favour Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa.

 

Nwoko stated this in a statement he personally signed and made available to newsmen on Thursday in Asaba.

He expressed dissatisfaction with the conduct of the exercise, claiming the process lacked transparency and fairness.

“The process was manipulated from day one by the State Government. It’s something that they conspired to produce results for what they saw, or what they produced,” he alleged.

Senator Nwoko further stated that his camp possesses copies of the ward-by-ward results as well as video evidence from the primaries, adding that the materials had already been submitted.

“We have submitted them. Halfway through the primary, we got a message on our phones that no results should be announced at the ward level —that they should be collated and then announced later at the national headquarters in Abuja. We’ll announce the results. And so, we thought we’d be law-abiding. And suddenly, we saw some news. We saw only that one video —of one of the wards in Ika North East, a ward where the major assistant known to everybody that worked with the Governor is from. The Assistant is from that particular village, next to the Governor’s village. It was just one video, showing three people in a line, and then the rest that were probably not more than 500. That’s what I saw in the video. Although in the result, they said there were 5,000,” he explained.

Nwoko maintained that the video showing Ifeanyi Okowa being declared winner represented only one ward out of the 98 wards involved in the exercise. He challenged party officials to release results and supporting evidence from the remaining wards to ensure transparency and accountability in the process.

The statement further reads; “I want you to understand something. The video that you saw, where Ifeanyi Okowa was announced as the winner, just one video from one ward out of 98 wards. Maybe they should show us other videos. They must show us the figures,” he insisted.

The Senator said he would reject any outcome upheld by the APC national leadership if it contradicts what he described as the genuine mandate of party members at the primaries.

“I wouldn’t accept. Because I have a mandate. I have a mandate by the people,” he said.

The statement threw more light on the allegations of intimidation and violence in areas considered to be Nwoko’s strongholds.

“The reports of intimidation and violence during the primaries are isolated incidents that did not affect the overall outcome. They were just isolated cases, maybe in about 10 wards out of 98. Not enough to make a difference,” he added.

Nwoko noted that he left the PDP due to limited freedom to operate as a Senator, alleging interference in projects and decision-making by the State leadership.

“I was in PDP. I got elected as a PDP Senator. But I realized that my people there —the Governor, Okowa himself—you know, didn’t allow me to operate freely.

“I’m stating categorically and unequivocally that high voter turnout and video evidence from across wards demonstrated clear support for my candidacy in all 98 wards.

“They came out in mass to vote for me. It’s also an indication of who they want. I’m referring to all the videos! I hope that they should also have some videos to show you. As simple as that,” he maintained.

“I expressed confidence that President Bola Tinubu would intervene to review the process, while maintaining that he remained committed to the party and would not act against its interests.

“I’m not going to say I’m going to work against the party; I’m going to work for the party. But I can assure you of this: I’m sure that the President will intervene in this matter.

“We have submitted the results from the 98 wards, with the videos. I’m not worried. I’m not thinking about working against the party, and I wouldn’t do that because of the interest of the people that make up the party, the masses. And of course, I said because also I am confident that the President will intervene in a matter of this nature,” the statement reads.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *